Want to know when someone modifies a document in SharePoint? Do you need to know when new files have been added to a document library, or new items are in a list? If you’re constantly checking for updates in SharePoint, try the Alert Me function to save you time.
For a single file:
- In SharePoint, navigate to the file you want.
- Click Show Actions (the three vertical dots that appear when you hover over the file).
- Choose Alert Me at the bottom of the menu.
- In the Alert me when items change window, you can make changes to who receives the alerts, the delivery method, the circumstances of the change, and how frequently to send alerts.
- Click OK.
For a library or list:
- In SharePoint, navigate into the list or library.
- Click More Actions (••) on the toolbar.
- Choose Alert Me.
- Like for a single file, you can modify exactly how and when you’ll be alerted.
- Click OK.
Managing Your Alerts
If you need to change the alerts you’ve set up, click on More Actions (•••) and then Manage my alerts. A new tab will appear in your browser with a list of all the alerts you’ve set up on that SharePoint site. Click on an Alert in the list to makes change to it.