Microsoft Paint is a simple graphics editor included with the Windows operating system. If you need to do some basic image editing, Paint is the perfect lightweight app. In this tech tip, we’ll look at two tasks: how to resize an image and how to crop an image.
Resizing an Image
- Open an image in Paint. Right click on the image file and choose Open with > Paint.
- Choose Resize from the toolbar.
- In the window that appears, you can resize based on percentage or pixels. Choose which option at the top. Make sure Maintain aspect ratio is selected at the bottom so that the resized image won’t be distorted.
- Change either the horizontal (width) or vertical (height) field. Then click OK.
Note: Never size an image up (to larger dimensions) unless you want to make the image blurrier. Realistically you can only size an image down to make it smaller.
Cropping an Image in Paint
What if, instead of resizing, you want to crop an image? For example, you may have a screenshot and you want to crop it to show only a portion of the image. Here’s how to crop an image in Paint.
- With the image open in Paint, click the Select option on the toolbar.
- Click and drag on the image to select the portion you want to keep.
- Click the Crop button on the toolbar.
Then the image will be trimmed down to your selection.
And that’s how you can resize and crop images in Microsoft Paint. This is a quick and easy way to edit images, especially screenshots, without firing up a bulkier and more complex program like Adobe Photoshop.