When creating letters for a mailing, sometimes you wish to have the company name or person’s name you’re addressing within the body of your letter. You can do this quickly with a Quick Parts Field.
For this tech tip, you will first want to complete a mail merge. Once you have completed your mail merge and have the address block within your letter, you can add the field in the body where you wish.
- Highlight the section of text where you want the field to be inserted.
- Then click on the Insert tab.
- In the Text group, click on Quick Parts.
- Choose Field.
- In Categories, choose Mail Merge from the drop-down list because you’ll be pulling data from the merge you’ve already completed and using the information from the Address Block.For the Field names, you’ll choose MergeField.Under Field properties, type in the name of the heading from your Excel document you are pulling from (set up with your mail merge previously). Examples could be Company Name, First Name, etc. In our example we are using “Iowa_Colleges”, which is the heading of the column that has the names of colleges and universities we are contacting.
- Then you can choose the Format you wish to use.
- Click OK.
Now the highlighted text should be replaced with the Company name from your address block.
This tip will save you a lot of time when you are sending multiple letters to different companies or people.