If you’ve switched computers, or are going to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, you may be asking… how do I move my Favorites? In Internet Explorer, bookmarks are called Favorites. And yes, you can move them!
To transfer your Favorites to another installation of Internet Explorer, you export a file of your favorites. Then you import it into the new installation. Here’s how!
- Open up Internet Explorer with your Favorites.
- Click on the Star icon in the upper right corner.
- Click the down arrow next to Add to Favorites.
- Select Import and Export. An Import/Export Settings window will appear.
- Select Export to a file and then click Next.
- Select Favorites from the list and click Next, and then Next
- Browse to where you want to save the exported Favorites file.
- Click Export and then click
Find the file you exported. Unless you renamed it, will be called bookmark.htm. Transfer this file to the machine where you want to import it.
To import your Favorites file, follow the same instructions for exporting up until Step 5. Instead, do the following:
- Select Import from a file and then click Next.
- Select Favorites to import.
- Browse to find the file.
- Click Next and then click Import.
- Click Finish.
And that’s how easy it is to transfer Favorites in Internet Explorer!