Is there a reason you might want to delay sending emails in Outlook? What possible reason could you want to put a 1-2 minute delay on all messages you hit “Send” on?
The answer is pretty simple: Adding a Rule in Outlook to delay your sent messages can help you recall them if you suddenly realize you made a mistake. Outlook now has a recall feature, but it works under such a limited set of circumstances that it may only rarely be helpful. A tiny delay may work even better!
Here’s how to set up a delay Rule in Outlook.
- Go to File.
- On the right, click the Manage Rules and Alerts button. The Rules and Alerts window will appear.
- Click New Rule…
- In Step 1: Select a template, go to the third option “Start from a blank rule” and choose “Apply rule on messages I send”.
- Click Next.
- In Step 1: Select condition(s), choose any options that you want, if you want this Rule to apply only under certain conditions. If you do not check any options, you will be asked to confirm this, and this Rule will apply to all sent emails.
- Click Next.
- In Step 1: Select action(s), select “defer delivery by a number of minutes”, near the end of the list.
- In Step 2: Edit the rule description, click on the underlined value “a number of” minutes and enter the time you want.
- Click OK and then Next.
- If you want to add any exceptions, choose from the Step 1: Selection exception(s) list. Otherwise, click Next.
- In Step 1, give your Rule a name.
- In Step 2, check “Turn on this rule”.
- Click Finish.
This rule with delay sending emails by a few minutes, in case you suddenly realize you want to recall them. You can simply delete the email in your “Outbox” to keep them from sending.
Recent Posts / View All Posts
In late 2017, Wiles Brothers Fertilizer was in need of streamlining and updating their IT. Located near Plattsmouth, NE, they offer a complete line of agricultural products and services for private and commercial use. They grew quickly and outstripped what their current IT provider could handle. OXEN consulted with them on their needs and created a roadmap for their IT that Wiles Bros could implement based on their budgetary needs. In Summer 2018 they will be building a new office and OXEN’s services will keep up with their rapid growth needs. To help update and streamline Wiles Bros’ technology, OXEN…