Has cybersecurity taken a backseat recently, after the many ongoing events of 2020 and 2021? Unfortunately, no. Cybersecurity continues to be highly relevant to businesses and individuals alike. Ransomware attacks have crippled hospitals and healthcare providers. Supply chains and utilities are also under attack, such as the temporary shutdown of the U.S. Colonial Pipeline.
Now is not the time to become complacent about your organization’s security.
How can you improve your security stance this year?
Attackers are stealthy and patient in their approach. They can avoid traditional protection methods and cover their tracks diligently. But while there are increasingly more attacks, many new defenses are available and accessible.
What do we recommend?
At OXEN Technology, these are our security axioms to live by in 2021:
- Secure Your Digital Estate. The “network” has sprawled over the years to the cloud, to mobile devices, to coffee shops, and to employees’ homes. Consider the new threats these changes bring.
- Apply Zero Trust Networking (ZTN). Take an approach that nothing happens in your digital estate without explicit permission being granted and authentication being verified.
- Simplicity Strengthens Security. The more disparate systems you have in your digital estate, the harder it is to secure. Centralized control and consistency are important. And remember: Much can be done with what you already have.
- Device Security and Monitoring Is Key. Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) with a Security Operations Center (SOC) has replaced traditional anti-virus/anti-malware software. EDR + SOC is more effective in detecting sophisticated attacks that will only grow in number.
- Train Your Employees. Most breaches begin by tricking an employee into doing something they shouldn’t. Ongoing employee cybersecurity training is a must.
How mature is your cybersecurity posture?
Remember that your cybersecurity posture is more than just technology. You need to assess your specific risks, train your employees, and implement the right cybersecurity policies. These things are above and beyond technology work, but directly impact your organization’s security.
Want to discuss the importance of cybersecurity for your organization? Contact OXEN Technology today to discuss where you’re at, where you need to go, and how our experts can help you.